02 April 2015

Dealing with doubts



My blog this week is a bit of a sidestep from the usual topics of communications and public relations, but I think there are still some relevant concepts here.


Right now, I’m in the process of developing a new business.

It’s exciting, but also more than a little nerve-wracking. Particularly, telling people about my business idea – which I’m starting to do now – is a vulnerable time. What if they think it’s silly? What if they think I’M silly? What if I’m completely wrong about the whole thing!? Eek!

Suffice to say, I’ve had my share of moments of doubt.

So, partly as a bit of self-therapy, and partly because I hope my experience might benefit others, I’m going to share my advice for dealing with The Dreaded Doubts.

1. Recognise the value of those second thoughts.

I try to think of my self-doubts as part of an internal debate, which helps me explore all the possible options and iron out any wrinkles in my idea. It’s a bit like my own risk identification and management process, which as we know, is an important part of communications practice.

I’m a fairly positive person by nature, but I don’t want to approach any decision or idea with blind optimism and naivety and without thinking about what could go wrong and what I might need to do differently.

So by second-guessing myself just a little, and by asking myself questions like, ‘what evidence do I have to back up my gut feelings on this topic?’, ‘am I making too many assumptions?’ and ‘what are the consequences if it all falls in a heap?’, I’m actually making sure my decisions are more balanced and well considered.

2. Ride it out

The other benefit of recognising your self-doubts as a natural – and even valuable – part of the process, is that you know they’ll eventually pass if you can ride them out.

Approaching any new venture usually means experiencing any number of highs and lows: excitement and nervousness, satisfaction and disappointment, moments of confidence and moments of doubt.

Work isn’t always smooth sailing, even in an established business, and especially in public relations practice. But there’s great strength that comes from knowing this and expecting both the highs and the lows. Remember that great saying, ‘this too shall pass’? In the same way you can’t hope to feel elated with excitement all the time, not should you expect your doubts to last either.

Recognise the feelings, acknowledge them, and know they too will pass.

3. Make a win list

Coincidentally, a friend called me for advice last week. A couple of really bad days at work had left her doubting that she’s as talented and amazing as I know she is, and it was really affecting her overall outlook.

(And yes, you bet, I have indeed recruited her to my new business idea!!)

In the meantime, one of the things I suggested to her is something that’s worked well for me in the past.

We all have a few things we’re really proud of. These might be professional or personal achievements, or aspects of our personality that we’ve cultivated. When we’re feeling good, it’s easy to remember the good stuff we’ve done; unfortunately, it’s not so easy when we feeling low, and that’s usually when we really need the reminder.

So, right now, I suggest you write it all down. It’s what I call a ‘Win List’, and it’s not too dissimilar to the list of successful projects and achievements that a public relations business might keep to include in pitches to new clients.

Put your list down on paper or create a document on your computer. Make a list of everything you are, and everything you’ve done, that make you proud. You know, those things that make you say, hey, you know what, I’m not too shabby after all!

Anyway, whenever you need a boost, you can pull out your list and remind yourself of your strengths, your wins, and that sometimes, you’re actually pretty great!

There you have it – those are my tips for dealing with doubts. As for the exciting new business idea, you’ll have to wait a little longer to hear about that ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discover The Plot at Pialligo this Sunday and support bushfire recovery

Love discovering new markets? Love food, wine and regional produce? Want to support local businesses, especially those impacted by the b...