18 January 2017

When a woman goes to Summernats





“Gee, you’re brave …” That’s what the majority of friends, family and colleagues said, when I told them I was going back to Summernats. Alone.

Let's just ponder that for a moment. Why would that be the case? Why would it be considered ‘brave’ to go to one of Australia’s largest car festivals? Isn’t that just extraordinary in itself?

If you’re a car enthusiast, chances are you‘ve heard of Summernats. And if you’ve heard of Summernats, you’re aware of its reputation, which generally precedes it in all corners of the country, and indeed, the world.

It’s been many years since I’ve been to Summernats, but as a motoring writer now based in Canberra, I felt I had to give it another chance. And I was confident that attending during the daytime, armed with a Media Accreditation, would offer a very different experience to some of the dark nights (figurative and literal) that I spent there as a young woman.

Read more at https://practicalmotoring.com.au/voices/when-a-woman-goes-to-summernats/

No comments:

Post a Comment

Discover The Plot at Pialligo this Sunday and support bushfire recovery

Love discovering new markets? Love food, wine and regional produce? Want to support local businesses, especially those impacted by the b...